Friday, January 2, 2009

Auld Lang Syne

Every year on December 31st... friends, family and strangers gather in a local "watering hole" or in the comfort of their own home.

Glasses clank together to toast another. Then, singing erupts to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne". I have sung that song for as many years as I can remember. Truth be told, I had no idea that the actual name of the song was "Auld Lang Syne" nor what it meant. I am not sure if anyone knew. I thought it was about telling your old acquaintances goodbye.

We would sing the song at the top our lungs singing basic jibberish. However, I distinctly remember a time when a group of guys at a pub were toasting to each other. As they commenced to singing, I heard them singing "Old Man's Eye". Hmmm....I thought that was an interesting song to bring in the new year. But, hey...I joined right in.

This year, I wanted to know what I was singing and to find out if it was some made up song by an old man sitting in a bar many moons ago.

My quest for answers led me to Scotland. That is where the song derived and has always been a tradition. Soon, it would spread around the world.

Auld (sounds like "old") Lang Syne (sounds like "sigh") means "Time goes by"

"We'll drink a cup of kindness yet for times gone by"

So, it wasn't really about an Old Man's eye?

I understand now...The tradition of lifting our glasses to each other is really about giving thanks to the past year.

The clock strikes midnight, perfect strangers start to kiss, cheers break out at a decibel level only a dog could hear. Another toast is now being made in honor of the New year and the anticipation and excitement of what the year will bring.

So, here's a toast to you my friends....................... may the New Year bring every blessing to you and your family!

No comments: